Saturday, April 25, 2009

My sleep...

(I wrote this to prison my memories of first few days at FMS...they call it as "induction period")


If I had been allowed to write “sleeping” as my hobby, I would have been doubly confident of clearing any management interview during my preparation. However, the world is strange and so are its rules. However, I always ensured that no matter what the situation is, I am always following what I love to do i.e. to sleep.


Not any longer, I guess. Unlike others, my biggest worry while entering into the hallowed portals of FMS was loosing my sleep. I thought of sleeping for some extra hours before joining the college but thanks to pre induction assignment, my smart plans were not materialized. However, I managed to sleep for a “comfortable” number of hours and was quite excited to see myself getting adapted to the new system. But destiny had some other plans in store for me. The first day at the college was marked by an acute shortage of sleep. While I was doing the pre induction assignment, I was continuously looking at my bed which was crying to take me in its arms and I started empathizing with it. The silence of night was whispering something and I was getting more and more confused. Finally, I decided to take a break and take a bath for a short time in the eternal bliss of, “sleep”. But as it was destined, I got drowned only to wake up at 7.


And the second day started with a big yawn. I really wonder if it was the appropriate start for a business school student. All throughout the lecture, my mouth was breaking its last record of the maximum volume of oxygen that can be taken. Finally, I woke up to the call of my body and decided to sleep. I lowered my head and allowed the eyes to have it. And I slept for entire 5 minutes. Just then somebody asked a question and I thought of kicking him right where he deserved but the class decorum forced me to think otherwise. Then after taking a “deep breath”, I went on for another long journey.


For the next few days, all of my prayers to God to let me sleep for some hours went unanswered. Yes, I lost my faith in God and decided to complete the work in advance to earn those coveted hours of “sleep”. But my weak shoulders were not geared to handle the pressure of this mountain of write ups. And I crumbled. I slept on the third night despite having a number of assignments to be completed and paid off the appropriate fine. But, I must say, the sleep was worth it. Perhaps it was more than the fine and much more than anything else in this world, as it was “my sleep”.

2 comments:

trikkum said...

great man u slept for entire 5 mins.

having fun at intern??

posted at 8 45 as soon as u reached office/?

SB said...

really? induction period is not hectic at all:P sleep or no sleep one falls asleep in class.......